I just can’t believe it!
Darnell and I have come to the end of our three week ministry assignment in the slums, how did time go by like that? We have spent the last 2 days just enjoying our family and new dear friends here. I know that when I think back on my time in Kenya, it will be those rich relationships, wonderful people, and joyful children that will be the sweetest memories. Living in the slums has opened my eyes, expanded my heart, increased my sensitivity, and deepened my understanding of all I have been blessed and INTRUSTED with. Darnell and I have been wrestling with the question of why we have so much and others have so little, why were we born in America, why did God lead us to the slums…what is God up to?
We will be unpacking all of these lessons and experiences for a long time; I think…how do I begin to process it all? Our Kenyan family, the Wetindis, have been so amazing, generous and full of joy…pray blessings for them. Darnell and I have stalled when it comes to packing our bags and taking down our mosquito nets…we don’t want to leave! When we first arrived we were in bed by dark and scared by all the sounds and commotion and poverty outside our concrete compound. But now three weeks later we don’t want to leave! From sitting on the roof chatting and laughing with our friends as the sun goes down through the smog, celebrating birthdays with locally-made lemon cake, playing with passing bare-footed children, and hearing our names called out with smiles as we pass through the market…this place has become like home. People make a place worth staying, fighting for, praying for, and loving…not the landscape.
Before we leave to meet the other 30-ish members of our team today, we are meeting with some people. In my previous posts I talked about a boy named Vincent that we met who is suffering from eye infections and is in danger of losing his remaining eye. Darnell and I are meeting with his father and pastor to donate some funds to help with his medical expenses and talk more about his condition. Some of you have expressed wishes to support this wonderful young boy, and I will keep you updated as best as possible as everything unfolds. Pray that God will be glorified in every part of this situation, what a loving God we serve, he cares about each of us…in our joy and in our pain. Keep Vincent and his family in your prayers!
We spent our last weekend around the Korogocho area, fellowshipping with church members, preaching on Sunday here at the compound in Lucky Summer, and enjoying meals together with friends. Mama made BANANA stew last night, and it was sooooo good, one of my new favorites! She has generously shared many recipes with me, so my family, friends and roommates should all brace themselves…I’m going to try them out on you! HAHA.
Well it is about time to trying to fit everything in our suitcases and backpacks….I just can’t believe it! I have learned so much here, and experienced an incredible amount. God has used this time to stretch my faith and reliance on Him, what a great thing! With hearts full, yet heavy we bid farewell to the slums of Nairobi that we have had the opportunity to visit on assignment; Kiambio, Korogocho, Kibera, Gituamba, and Futyan Nyayo. The people we met there will be in our thoughts, hearts and prayers, oh how they blessed us, even in their poverty they showed us the joy and hope of the Lord. Here is a verse that I have kept coming back to during our time here.
Romans 5:1-5
“Therefore since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but also rejoice in our suffering because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character and character HOPE. And hope does not disappoint us because God poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.”
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Bess, I am so touched by your experience there...you are such a light!!!! Thank you:)
ReplyDelete