Habari family and friends!
So much has happened since my last post! Each day is SO packed here in Kenya! We have been travelling all around the area from the city of Nairobi to "up-country" (the rural areas) for church and to visit a children's home. I have been bonding with my team mates, diving into scripture and preparing my heart for my upcoming three week assignment with a partner. Yesterday, excitement ran high as Brian Lee revealed where we would be going! Places ranged from the city to the country side, to the shores of Lake Victoria. Everyone had their own expectations, including me...but just when you think you have it figured out, Jesus has his own MARVELOUS plan!
My jaw dropped and WOW, I was totally shocked about mine! I was assigned to the slums of Korogochowith my previously mentioned friend, Darnell. Didn't expect that one at all!! First of all because Darnell and I get along SO well, we figured we would be partnered with someone with a different personality in order to be stretched and learn how to relate. Secondly I came to realize that I had an embedded expectation of going "up-country" (to a rural area) as the Kenyans say and squishing dinner-plate sized spiders! I had heard so many stories from my best friend Maureen Leonard about her time in the countryside, that I subconsciously figured that I would be in a similar situation with somebody random. Darnell and I were the last pair to be assigned, and the shock and excitement was mutual.
Korogocho is one of the major slums hugging the edge of Kenya's capital city, Nairobi. It is home to over 200,000 people living in extremely substandard conditions. It is known also for the huge amount of trash and rubbish everywhere and namely its giant trash dump in the center of the slum ...the source of many diseases. We will be staying with Pastor Alfred and his wife Elica in their compound in Korogocho. We will be working with young men rehabilitated from slum life and in the process of pursuing lives as pastors. We will also partner with refugee women who are learning to support themselves by making jewelry and bags among other things. The church is also attached to a small clinic where we will help out. I have heard that there is a chance of working with primary school students, and at risk teenage girls from the slum. Darnell and I will also fill in as guest pastors for the three Sundays we are here at several churches in the slums! We will be preacher women...I'm so excited! I will know more details soon, seeing as I will be there with Dar tomorrow! Slum ministry...who would have thought!
I am scared, excited, still shocked, nervous, expectant, and so anxious to see how God will choose to use me and work in me! Pray that God will turn my fear into faith and that I will be able to boldly share about the hope that God has offered me, and extends to everyone...the world over.
Can you believe it?! I'm still reeling, but with a giant smile on my face. I'm soaking in the fresh air and greenery in the hills right now, because there will be a SERIOUS lack of it where I'm going. Pray for strength and a well-spring of renewing life within me! Just that one day in Mathare Valley left me drained...I need the strength and compassion of the Lord!
I will have twice weekly internet access and here is the address of where you can send me an actual letter...
Kenya Global Project
Bess Brownlee
P.O. Box 781
Ruaraka 00681
Kenya, AFRICA
Talk to you all soon!
Bess
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Besslee!! WE are soo excited for you and I pray for you every night and every time that I see a spider. God will hold you in HIS arms!!!!!
ReplyDelete